Hats off to AJ -- Once again a model of consistency

FanSince88

After struggling hard to begin the year, AJ has managed to raise his AVG ABOVE last year's numbers. He also has his highest OBP since 2012. Seems on pace to hit or exceed 30 HR. And once again seems a good bet to hit his usual OPS range of high 700s to low 800s, which is something everyone should be very happy with from a CF.

He's trending in the opposite direction of the rest of the team offensively, and you could argue that he's won us some games in the past few weeks.

Hats off, AJ.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Especially the one that made a boneheaded base running blunder. Even though Dickerson made it far worse.

Still trying to wrap my arms around how he didn't score. Valencia didn't pick the ball up cleanly off the wall. I never question Jones hustling but have to wonder if he was running all out. Just brutal.

By wRC+ he is right in line with last year, only a slight tick down. However, it appears he is going to take another step back in WAR. The metrics hate his defense this year. By fWAR, he ranks 16th out of 19 qualified MLB CFers.

I'm not crazy about it either. His arm used to be one of his strengths, but not any longer and he plays too shallow. He doesn't go back on the ball very well. A couple years ago he was playing deeper and I thought he had one of his better seasons, then inexplicably he came out the next year and started playing shallow again.

Still trying to wrap my arms around how he didn't score. Valencia didn't pick the ball up cleanly off the wall. I never question Jones hustling but have to wonder if he was running all out. Just brutal.

He double clutched at second, slowed down around third and had his foot raised sliding into home.

Jones simply couldn't see the ball was all. He did the right thing by holding up - otherwise if it was caught he had just been out at 2B. Dickerson blew it a little, but Adam would have been safe if the front leg was down, another thing not really in his control. Pretty much a bad luck play, there's really no other way to look at it if you understand the game.

But then look at the 3rd base coach. That was unacceptable for Little League - let alone MLB in a race for the Division Championship. And to top it off by not touching home plate... wow. I'm speechless how the team leader... how any veteran major leaguer... could mess up that badly on one play.

Jones simply couldn't see the ball was all. He did the right thing by holding up - otherwise if it was caught he had just been out at 2B. Dickerson blew it a little, but Adam would have been safe if the front leg was down, another thing not really in his control. Pretty much a bad luck play, there's really no other way to look at it if you understand the game.

Dickerson blew it a lot. If you saw your baserunner get a poor read and go back to the bag and lose his momentum...why the hell are you sending him home if the O's came out swinging well against Detwiler? 1st and 3rd no outs is much better than a huge chance at an out at home plate and only a runner at 2nd.

Are you saying that Jones keeping his leg in the air was not under his control? If he isn't to blame for that, who is? It's unbelievable that Jones and others keep their lead foot in the air and never touch the base with it.

The once mighty O's have gotten safe calls(mainly at second base) overturned when the play was appealed. Now they lost a run because a major league player doesn't know how to slide. Turn about is fair play.

And as to Jones being the model of consistency, you're right. He still strikes out by swinging at pitches a few inches off the ground and several inches off the outside corner. He's just incapable of learning what pitchers are doing to him.

Hats off to AJ -- Once again a model of consistency

Hard to argue as long as that statement applies to the regular season only. Adam Jones and the postseason are another story unless consistency applies to his dreadful offensive production on the biggest stage

Archived